Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Poor

The last few weeks I've been reading a biography of Mother Teresa by Navin Chawla. Between reading this and concurently doing some significant renovations on our house the last few weeks ... I've really struggled with coming to grips with my views on the poor, poverty, and what I currently find acceptable in my life. I still have half the book to read so I'm sure I'll reflect even more. In the midst of us replacing a few windows and considering upgrading some of the flooring in our house ... I read a blog post from our friends working in Nepal who are experiencing food, water, and fuel shortages ... which they may deal with more over the coming months. I also recieved an email from another organization with stats about children around the world. (see below). I continue to examine my attitidues about assets, about income, and about my level of contentness (and simplicity).

Over half a billion children are struggling to survive on under $1 per day
(Poverty Reduction Begins with Children, UNICEF, 2000)

It is estimated that 25 million children will have lost one or both parents to AIDS by 2010
(Children on the Brink 2002; USAID, UNICEF, UNAIDS)

130 million children lack access to education
(State of the World's Children, UNICEF, 1999)

246 million children are child laborers
(Facts on Child Labour, International Labour Organization, 2003)

8.4 million children are trapped in slavery, trafficking, debt bondage, prostitution, pornography and other illicit activities
(Facts on Child Labour, International Labour Organization, 2003)

300,000 young people under 18 are exploited as child soldiers
(UN Office of the Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict, 2003)

30,000 children die each day from preventable diseases
(www.worldhungeryear.org)

1 comment:

Miriam Naomi Brant said...

In my current "job" as campus coordinator for our church I have seen first had the needs of people even in our own community. At times I find myself overwhelmed and when I take a look at what I have a feel selfish and some what ashamed. While I am thankful that God is opening my eyes to the needs around me I am experiencing another "revelation" as well.
God created me with certain gifts and strengths and allowed me to be born at this specific place in time. He allowed me to be born to great parents, pick a wonderful husband, and have a fairly healthy life. Why? I believe He has blessed me so that I can in turn bless others.
I struggled this Christmas with everyone asking "what I needed" for Christmas. The truth is that compared to most of the world and even those in my own town I don't NEED anything.
I do believe there is a balance to life and the needs and wants that we experience. My prayer now is that I will hold nothing that I have back from being used by God. Everything that I am blessed with whether relational or material is His anyway. So my feelings are that He may choose to bless me and if/when He does...I want to have open hands to share that blessing with others.
I know you and Sarah and you are both generous not only with monetary things but with prayer, training, and time. I know your home will be used to welcome friends, neighbors, and even strangers if needed. The money that is going into the house may seen silly when compared to other needs, but know that God placed you and Sarah at this point in your lives and has blessed you so that you can bless others.
I love you guys! I am happy to have family with hearts as big as yours!